Hiya folks – nearly one year later – I am cutting the SMB PC magazine blog site over the www.smbnation.com => BLOG so that I can consolidate and better manage. See ya on the other side…..harrybbbb
February 23, 2009
February 14, 2009
Howdy folks – I am working on the next release of the quarterly magazine – stay tuned
Have a good one!
Harry Brelsford, CEO at SMB Nation
MBA, MCSE, CNE, CLSE, CNP, MCP, MCT, SBSC (Microsoft Small Business Specialist)
February 9, 2009
Join me and other SMB consultants, SBSers and geeks for the fourth annual spring show – SMB Nation Spring! It’s the first full weekend of May 2009 just outside New York City….
Our traditional BusinessSpeak and GeekSpeak pathways include SBS, VoIP, data networks, cloud computing and virtualization.
See the full offering at www.smbnation.com
see you there….harrybbbb
February 6, 2009
CEO, SMB Nation
Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM PST
2. Performing the assessment as part of the sales motion
3. What to cover in the assessment
4. The executive report
5. Closing the deal
11am Pacific, 12pm Mountain, 1pm Central, 2pm Eastern
[UTC(GMT) time: Thurs, Feb. 19, 2009 at 19:00]
February 2, 2009
Hi readers – Microsoft Response Point Service Pack #2
Today at IT Expo East 2009, Microsoft Response Point announced the immediate availability of their latest upgrade, Response Point Service Pack 2 (SP2) for its small business VoIP-enabled phone solution. The product is available today, Monday, February 2, as a free download at http://www.microsoft.com/responsepoint.
Responding to customer and partner feedback –and quickly implementing those suggestions—is the main priority for the Response Point team. Coming just seven months after the previous upgrade, the new SP2 release adds many important enhancements including improved communication options through support for intercom and paging capabilities, support for analog phones, and greater deployment flexibility via new support for VPN, multi-subnets and additional trunk devices.
A recipient of InfoWorld’s “2009 Technology of the Year Award,” Response Point continues to provide small businesses with a cost effective phone system that is easy to use and manage, offering the ability to grow and evolve with their needs.
If you would like to speak with a spokesperson about today’s news of SP2 or have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Additionally, an SP2 fact sheet and high resolution images are available upon request.
The Response Point Team
Send us your questions and feedback! email@example.com
January 28, 2009
How to Profitably Manage the Hybrid Support Model, Break-Fix, Maintenance, and Managed Services all Under One Roof
Join Harrybbbb and Matt Nachtrab for this amazing managed services webinar!
All client relationships are not ready for Managed Services. Some want to pay per hour and some just want proactive maintenance. All existing clients are not ready to transition to managed services upon implementation. So how do we make “Managed Service” margins with the technologies we have created despite the model of support the client has subscribed? For the answers, come to this presentation. Our recommendations can help maximize profits possible across the various support models.
Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM PST
January 23, 2009
With great pleasure – I am delighted to announce my Small Business Server 2008 book (SBS) is here. This was once again a labor of love for the SBS community and I hope that you enjoy it!
More details at www.smbnation.com and I’ve posted some stuff here:
Microsoft Small Business Server 2008 Blueprint
By Philip Elder and Harry Brelsford
SMB Nation Press, January 2009
This ready guide to Microsoft’s Small Business Server 2008 (SBS) product, now part of the Windows Essential Server Solutions family, is grounded in the real world and based on practical experience. As your blueprint, this book teaches you the “SBS” way! By using a structured deployment methodology and completing the step-by-step procedures, you will set up a secure SBS 2008 network for a sample small business – the perfect way to properly implement SBS 2008.
This introductory/intermediate volume allows you to gain competency as an SBSer in:
· Windows Server 2008
· Exchange Server 2007
· Third-party security solutions: firewall, anti-virus, and more
· Remote Web Workplace
· SQL Server 2008
· Windows SharePoint Services
· SBS 2008 administration and troubleshooting
· SBS Consoles
· Monitoring SBS 2008
· Office Live and other hosted components
· Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Annual SBS 2008 tasks
You will also learn how to centrally control and manage Windows Vista and Windows XP desktops.
Follow these fundamental blueprint paths to insure maximum SBS 2008 success using the content in this book:
· Plan, deploy, configure, and customize SBS 2008 using a tested methodology
· Support collaboration between workers
· Implement and encourage the use of remote working and mobility
· Protect the SBS 2008 network from security threats
· Back up and protect data using native and third-party tools
· Encourage and foster better communications with e-mail based on Microsoft Exchange Server 2007
· Automate management by using Group Policy Objects
SECTION ONE: SMALL BUSINESS SERVER 2008 DEPLOYMENT
1. Welcome to SBS 2008
2. Small Business Server 2008 Design and Planning
3. Small Business Server 2008 Installation
4. Introduction to the SBS Consoles
5. SBS 2008 Deployment
Small Business Server 2008 Photo Essay
SECTION TWO: EXTENDING SMALL BUSINESS SERVER 2008
6. Standard Security in SBS 2008
7. Messaging with Exchange Server 2007 and Outlook 2007
8. Collaboration with Windows SharePoint Services
9. Mobility and Remote Connectivity
10. Faxing and Print
11. Internet and the Web (RWW, Office Live)
SECTION THREE: SMALL BUSINESS SERVER 2008 ADMINISTRATION
12. Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Annual Tasks
13. Monitoring Small Business Server 2008
SECTION FOUR: SMALL BUSINESS SERVER 2008 ADVANCED TOPICS
14. Advanced Security
15. Small Business Server 2008 Premium Edition (LOB, SQL)
Appendix A: SBS Resources
Appendix Z: Book Configurations
Back Cover Test
Small Business Server 2008 Blueprint is written from a strong, third-party viewpoint. This independent view insures you get the straight story on the popular SBS product, now in its 5th major release as the 2008 version. You also benefit from the author’s broader SBS 2008 ecosystem conversation, which allows you to make the best decisions when you supplement your SBS 2008 network with third-party security, managed services and monitoring solutions.
About the Authors
Two authors have teamed together to deliver Small Business Server 2008 Blueprint into your hands:
· Canadian Philip Elder, a well-known SBSer and a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional for SBS, is cofounder of MPECS, Inc. in Saint Albert, Calgary.
· Harry Brelsford is the CEO of SMB Nation and the author of more than 15 books relating to small- and medium-business technology consulting – including several books on past versions of SBS.
Both authors have extensive SBS experience dating back to the start of the product life cycle in 1997.
Change your life with SBS 2008
Technology is often responsible for making businesses more efficient and profitable. SBS 2008 takes small businesses to the next level of productivity. Read this book and catch the SBS 2008 wave!
Ships early February – Reserve your copy now!
January 20, 2009
I am hosting a breakfast for my staff. What are you doing today? Are you watching the